[climacs-devel] latest progress

Robert Strandh strandh at labri.fr
Wed Dec 29 15:03:56 UTC 2004

Hello,

This message is mostly for those who do not read climacs-cvs and who
do not participate in the #lisp IRC channel.

Progress is pretty fast.  The following is a list of recent
improvements:

  * improved reading and writing of files (save only if buffer is
    modified, etc)

  * status line with buffer name and buffer modification flag.

  * the cursor is visible again, though there is still some work to do
    on the redisplay algorithm

  * the buffer-modification protocol was modified because the current
    protocol could not handle empty buffers.  The changes were
    implemented.

  * we have an initial kill-ring implementation with commands to go
    with it.

  * extended commands with M-x now work, so many new commands can be
    implemented.

  * probably some things I have forgotten.

In the near future:

  * commands to toggle characters and words.

  * a much faster redisplay algorithm.  The fraction-of-a-second
    typing delay is due to the relative slowness of the redisplay
    algorithm.  I now know how to make it much faster, which should
    give a significant speed-up.

  * more commands, as people find out which ones of their favorite
    Emacs commands are missing.

Sincerely,
--
Robert Strandh