clisp can't find build-lisp-image

Philippe Brochard pbrochard at common-lisp.net
Sat Mar 1 22:19:44 UTC 2014

Michaël Cadilhac writes:

> Hi there;

Hi, sorry for the lag but I have had to boot under ubuntu for tests
(grub is a very nice piece of software for this with its ability to
boot on iso files).

> As you may recall, I'm not at all versed in lisp machinery (which is
> evil, let it be noted).  I just arrived at my new job (on a Ubuntu
> 12.04) and wanted to show off my CLFSWM skills, but I can't seem to be
> able to install it.  The debian package seems outdated (at least, it
> doesn't look at my config) hence I went on to compile my own.  It gets
> stuck with:
>
>    undefined function BUILD-LISP-IMAGE
>
> My meager knowledge of this led me to believe that I had to install
> the cl-acl-compat package, which was cumbersome enough as it required
> to install an older version of asdf, which conflicted with the one
> CLFSWM installs.  Conclusion: still no build-lisp-image to be found.
>
> A hand would be greatly appreciated.

Here is what I've done to run clfswm under ubuntu 12.04 and 13.10:

sudo apt-get install git sbcl
git clone git://common-lisp.net/projects/clfswm/clfswm.git
cd clfswm
make    (accept to load clx)
echo xterm > ~/.xsession
Control + Alt + F1 (switch to console)
startx -- :1
cd clfswm
./clfswm

For the sbcl in 12.04, you have to change the line 788 in src/tools.lisp
from  #+sbcl (sb-ext:exit) to   #+sbcl (sb-ext:quit)
you can also comment this line.

It works also with clisp (both in 13.10 and 12.04).

I haven't tried the tarball (I'll test now) but if it fails it'll be
time to make a new one.

Regards,

Philippe