How to filter by command/parent PID ?

Thijs Oppermann thijso at gmail.com
Sun Jun 23 08:37:07 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 4:37 PM, Philippe Brochard <
pbrochard at common-lisp.net> wrote:

> Thijs Oppermann writes:
>
> > I've been looking into this, searching a lot, but unable to find what I
> need.
> >
> > The situation:
> >
> > I have multiple profiles for firefox. Everytime I shut down my computer
> I just
> > let them be killed, which means that the next time I start them up they
> will
> > ask me if I want to restore the previous session. These previous
> sessions often
> > consist of multiple windows (with multiple tabs, but that's beside the
> point).
> >
> > In my .clfswmrc I've setup a hook so that firefox windows go to the
> 'browser'
> > frame (using absorb-window-nw-hook). But I would really like to have
> these
> > different profiles's windows go to different frames.
> >
> > How can I set this up? I can't use the window name, as this is the tab
> title in
> > firefox and will be different for each window.
> >
> > I was thinking if I could find the initial process id (PID) I could
> somehow
> > check if a navigator window was a child of the original PID and then
> send them
> > to the appropriate frame based on that.
> >
> > In my searches I found a thread on the stumpwm list where someone else
> seems to
> > have been trying the same thing, but sadly the thread stops at a point
> where it
> > remains unresolved:
> >
> > http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/stumpwm-devel/2009-08/msg00002.html
> >
> > I searched the code for something like the '(xlib:get-property
> (window-xwin w)
> > :_NET_WM_PID)' mentioned there, but no dice.
> >
> > So, is this possible? Any pointers would be very much appreciated...
> >
> Hi, two things comes in mind:
>
> 1) You can use directly (xlib:window-id window) to know the window id.
> But I think it can change each time you reboot.

The window id isn't much help, as this is different for each window. I want
to be able to group all windows of 1 firefox process in 1 frame. That is
why I want to know the process id of the 'parent' firefox process for each
window. Then I can group the windows on that PID into 1 frame...