How to filter by command/parent PID ?

Thijs Oppermann thijso at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 15:09:17 UTC 2013

I've been looking into this, searching a lot, but unable to find what I
need.

The situation:

I have multiple profiles for firefox. Everytime I shut down my computer I
just let them be killed, which means that the next time I start them up
they will ask me if I want to restore the previous session. These previous
sessions often consist of multiple windows (with multiple tabs, but that's
beside the point).

In my .clfswmrc I've setup a hook so that firefox windows go to the
'browser' frame (using absorb-window-nw-hook). But I would really like to
have these different profiles's windows go to different frames.

How can I set this up? I can't use the window name, as this is the tab
title in firefox and will be different for each window.

I was thinking if I could find the initial process id (PID) I could somehow
check if a navigator window was a child of the original PID and then send
them to the appropriate frame based on that.

In my searches I found a thread on the stumpwm list where someone else
seems to have been trying the same thing, but sadly the thread stops at a
point where it remains unresolved:

http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/stumpwm-devel/2009-08/msg00002.html

I searched the code for something like the '(xlib:get-property (window-xwin
w) :_NET_WM_PID)' mentioned there, but no dice.

So, is this possible? Any pointers would be very much appreciated...

thijso