[clfswm-devel] CLFSWM licence change? (end)

Philippe Brochard pbrochard at common-lisp.net
Thu Mar 8 23:54:25 UTC 2012

madnificent at gmail.com writes:

> dear CLFSWM-devel,
>

> this obviously means that I will not add contributions to CLFSWM.

Hi. Sad news indeed.

> there's a bunch of code here which will sadly live only locally.  i do
> wish you all the best of luck and hope CLFSWM will have a good life,
> even after i stop using it in the future.

Ok, your choice.

> the only saddening things for me about these discussions has been that
> no developers actually joined in with meaningful comments (in fact,
> only a user that apparently can't get CLFSWM running showed interest)
> and that none of the claimed issues with the GPL have been overturned.

We're not a lot on this list (20 actually) and some of us had not jumped
here for ages. In particular only one person over the four people in the
clfswm author file (except me) has voted to the licence change. You have
to contact and convince them also.

If you want to discuss about GPL vs BSD, maybe you'll have more reply on
the Stumpwm list (I follow it).

As I've already said, the GPL is fine for me as it grants that my code
will always be free (as in speech). It can't be turned in a proprietary
software. If you share your code with us, I'll merge it in **your name**
and it'll be **your** GPL code (you'll have to add your name in the
author line in the file header if you want to be sure and I'll add you
in the AUTHOR file). It'll be in the actual GPL version (3 actually).
If we want to upgrade to a newer GPL version, we'll have to ask *you* the
right to do this. If you disagree and don't like the new version, we'll
stuck to the GPL version *you* accepted.

On the other side, with the 'or later' clause, we let the user choose a
more recent GPL version if he wants. But you as a developer, your right
are always under the GPL v3 (actually). No one can change the file
header without the owner permission (i.e: without your permission if
your name is in the author line of the file header or in the AUTHOR
file). This is the base of the licence respect (this is the same with
the BSD one).

What do you fear most : a new GPL version which let more freedom and
protection to the user or a BSD licence which let every one do what he
wants with your code (even proprietary software which enclose new
enhancements).

> again, i hope CLFSWM has a bright future with many many happy users and devs.

Thanks a lot. But CLFSWM has more than 6 years now and is just the way I
like to use my computer. I'm glad if others find this good too.
And as I've already said at the CLFSWM beginning, CLFSWM is just a big
configuration file over some Xlib functions. Create your own (or fork
it) if you have different ideas or taste (like licence version). It's
not hard (it took me one mouth to have a usable WM with my ideas in
it). Start with TinyWM (lisp/C/python version, your choice) it's public
domain (even if this can cause more troubles here in France for example
as the public domain is not recognized as a valid concept).

> best regards,

Best regards.

Philippe