[clfswm-devel] How can I put xvkbd on the top?

Philippe Brochard pbrochard at common-lisp.net
Sun Feb 13 22:53:16 UTC 2011

Desmond O. Chang writes:

> On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 07:01, Philippe Brochard
> <pbrochard at common-lisp.net> wrote:
>> Desmond O. Chang writes:
>>>
>>> 1. The never managed window has no focus after I raise it.
>>>
>> This is normal, in the version you have tested I've made the choice to
>> only raise the window and not focus it since this is the expected
>> behaviour with xvkbd.
>> There is a need for something more sofisticated. So please, try the last
>> commit where you can specifiy if you want to raise, focus or do nothing
>> on a never managed window.
>
> It's fixed and I commit some code to optimize it.  Please check
>
>  git://repo.or.cz/clfswm/dochang.git
>
> The commit is on the branch 'fix'.

Ok, thanks. Indeed it's better like this :)

>>> 2. When a never managed window A is partially under a managed window
>>> B, I can't raise A by clicking its part which is not under B (of
>>> course with the modifier, for me, it's :mod-4).  I have to click the
>>> part under B with :mod-4 to raise A.
>>>
>> The wanted window is at the end of the (xlib:query-tree *root*). It's
>> fixed in the last commit.
>
> It's not.

Ok, please can you try it now. I've changed the raise-window function.
I've grabbed this function from the stumwm code at the clfswm origin and
this function do the wrong thing in the clfswm case. This resolve
another bug when moving empty frames.

>>> 4. The never managed window covers the top-left corner.  That means I
>>> can't hide the terminal unless I move it first, because I can't click
>>> the corner.
>>>
>> Hum, this works for me. Are you using the xterm (now urxvt with the last
>> commit)?
>
> It doesn't work here.  I use urxvt.

The corner is 3 pixels large and it is checked before the click is
passed to the window (clfswm-util.lisp - line 592).
It works for me with urxvt and now an xterm.
I don't see what I can do more. Please, can you inspect this function to
see if it works as expected.

>>> My laptop runs Debian sid and clisp 1:2.48-3.1 with internal clx.
>>>
>> This means it's the new-clx. There has been some bugs fixed in the last
>> clisp/new-clx (2.49). Maybe you can try with a newer version or with
>> portable clx.
>
> Which is the 'portable' clx?  Do you mean [1]?  Is there any 'de
> facto' standard version?  They confuse me.
>
> [1] http://common-lisp.net/~abridgewater/dist/clx/clx-0.7.4.tgz

In fact there is at least 3 clx implementations out there.
clisp has 2 :
  - mit-clx: the old and slow one. But (for me) the reference.
  - new-clx: the new one. Faster but bugged until recently (~2 years)

sbcl, ecl uses portable clx : fast and maintained.

cmucl comes with its own clx but I don't know its origins.

More info here:

  http://www.cliki.net/CLX

I try to test all of them before each release.

>> Please, try the last commit.
>
> They're tested on fee2718.

Thanks a lot. And now with the last commit?