[clfswm-devel] Hard time using SVN

Philippe Brochard pbrochard at common-lisp.net
Sun Mar 9 13:07:36 UTC 2008

Matthieu Moy a écrit :

> Philippe Brochard <pbrochard at common-lisp.net> writes:
>
>> Xavier Maillard writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> As expected, I am not really happy with SVN. Switching from git
>>> and SVN makes me rather frustrated ;)
>>>
>>> Can someone maintain a git mirror somewhere ?
>>>
>> Maybe I can setup one on common-lisp.net. I just need to know how to
>> create a repository over ssh.
>> But in this case, as I like the trac code browser, I need to commit
>> for git and svn (it's not hard but I'm not sure I'll like the double
>> commit and even worse the version revision).
>
> Manual double commit is not an option IMHO. You'll necessarily end up
> with discrepancies between SVN and Git.

Yes I think so, it's for this reason I don't like this option.

> Either you migrate to Git (I wouldn't force you to do so, but I think
> that's something you could try. Git really has a lot of cool things,
> you'll learn a lot by using it), and use the SVN repository just as a
> mirror (which git knows how to do with "git svn dcommit"), or you
> continue using SVN, and you (or someone else) sets up a mirror which
> periodically imports new revisions in the SVN repo to the git mirror.

I have already played with git and I like it: it's really simple to
setup and clone over multiple users.

The only thing I miss is how to use it on common-lisp.net over ssh:

I'd like to keep the timeline trac done on the svn and I want to have
a code broswer as the one on trac.

I'll have a look at the git svn and use it instead of svn directly if
it fits my needs.

> If you want to give Git a try, there's a free Git hosting here for
> example:
>
>   http://repo.or.cz/
>
> It's code browser (gitweb) is probably not as integrated with other
> stuff as the SVN one is integrated into trac, but it's worth having a
> look.

Ok, thanks a lot, I'll have a look at this.

Regards,

Philippe

--
Philippe Brochard    <pbrochard at common-lisp.net>