[clfswm-devel] Hard time using SVN

Matthieu Moy Matthieu.Moy at imag.fr
Sun Mar 9 12:49:07 UTC 2008

Philippe Brochard <pbrochard at common-lisp.net> writes:

> Xavier Maillard writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> As expected, I am not really happy with SVN. Switching from git
>> and SVN makes me rather frustrated ;)
>>
>> Can someone maintain a git mirror somewhere ?
>>
> Maybe I can setup one on common-lisp.net. I just need to know how to
> create a repository over ssh.
> But in this case, as I like the trac code browser, I need to commit
> for git and svn (it's not hard but I'm not sure I'll like the double
> commit and even worse the version revision).

Manual double commit is not an option IMHO. You'll necessarily end up
with discrepancies between SVN and Git.

Either you migrate to Git (I wouldn't force you to do so, but I think
that's something you could try. Git really has a lot of cool things,
you'll learn a lot by using it), and use the SVN repository just as a
mirror (which git knows how to do with "git svn dcommit"), or you
continue using SVN, and you (or someone else) sets up a mirror which
periodically imports new revisions in the SVN repo to the git mirror.

If you want to give Git a try, there's a free Git hosting here for
example:

  http://repo.or.cz/

It's code browser (gitweb) is probably not as integrated with other
stuff as the SVN one is integrated into trac, but it's worth having a
look.

--
Matthieu