[clbuild-devel] Newbie Confusion

David Lichteblau david at lichteblau.com
Sun Feb 3 10:50:26 UTC 2008

Quoting Bryan Emrys (bryan.emrys at gmail.com):
> 1. Running clbuild build as root works, but if I try to run it as a
> normal user, I'm tripping up over git errors, specifically:
>
> UPDATE git pull clsql
> /usr/bin/git-fetch: line 108: .git/FETCH_HEAD: Permission denied

Are you perhaps trying to run clbuild as a normal user in the very same
directory that you created as root earlier?

In that case, your files are owned by root, and naturally you can't
write to them as a normal user.

If you work as a normal user in the first place, these problems
shouldn't happen.

> 2. <Real newbie alert>Clbuild generates a core instance. While I can
> run clbuild slime [project_name] and start editing, I'm not clear how
> to that interacts with path names required by config files such as
> when setting the path names for .emacs, slime, etc. I set up clbuild
> as a directory under home. My interpretation of the clbuild file is to
> set my .emacs file as

You can usually run slime using
  clbuild slime

You shouldn't edit .emacs at all, unless you already have a .emacs that
loads an different version of slime.  (In that case, remove anything
related to slime from your .emacs before using "clbuild slime".)

Of course, you -can- configure emacs manually to use the slime
downloaded by clbuild, but first I'd recommend trying to get "clbuild
slime" up and running.

Make sure to download slime before trying to load it, e.g. using
  clbuild update slime

d.