clasp next steps ? speed-up ?

Markus Krummenacker kr at AI.SRI.COM
Wed Jun 24 05:26:03 UTC 2015

Christian Schafmeister writes:
 > Hey Markus,
 >
 > You will have a better debugging experience if you use Slime.
 >
 > We should talk and I’ll give you a better update as to where Clasp is wrt optimization and debugging.  It’s kind of a complex picture that is changing rapidly.  In a nutshell:
 >
 > 1) I’m incorporating inlining and a new compiler as we speak and this should produce a large improvement in performance.

hi chris,

so having 2 compilers floating around does create the puzzle of where
exactly improvements should be made.  i should probably pick something
to do that will survive the transition from one compiler to the
other...

 > 2) The debugging experience is mixed and should be improved
 > soon. I’m incorporating a new compiler but it generates no
 > debugging information at the moment.  I’m adding DWARF debugging
 > support so that we can debug using gdb or lldb.

i know nothing about dwarves, but if such debug info could be used on
the lisp side as well, maybe i should study that a bit.  (though it
will probably take me quite a bit of time to digest.  i don't want to
prevent other people from investigating this as well.)

 > 3) On freenode there is a #clasp chatroom - could you drop in and I can update you on where things are?

quite frankly, i have no idea how to use irc chat.  i did use firefox
to visit the freenode website, and i seem to have joined #clasp, but i
don't know how i would type anything,  it does not do anything for me,
and i don't see any activity.  maybe it is also getting late on the
east coast.

anyways, my cultural preference generally is towards "traditional"
email and mailing-lists, that are properly archived, and where
communication is asynchronous.

i would think explanations regarding what glue holds clasp together
these days would be of broad interest on the mailing list too, instead
of just the presumably ephemeral irc channel.

Regards
Markus Krummenacker