[Clarity-devel] Database schema

Samantha Kleinberg sjk267 at nyu.edu
Wed Jun 21 19:13:39 UTC 2006

Hi Marco & Carl,

I've attached two files showing the same diagram - one PNG, one DIA file
that I created the PNG from.  Hopefully this will give you a clearer idea of
the current form of the database

I think there are two main questions I have about it right now.  The first
is whether to store numerical data with the rest of the gantt chart in a
series of columns of the form (window-start-n, window-end-n,
window-numerical-n. . .).  The plus side of this is that the data is readily
available and can easily be added into any scoring method during the
pairwise alignment.  The minus is that the table is really hideous to look
at and there may be much more in it than is normally needed.  With either
method, I have yet to come up with a really great way to insert data, since
there is not a uniform # of windows.  I thought I figured it out, but it
didn't work well with common sql.

The other main question is whether individual time points of the datasets
should be stored and annotated individually, or if the data should be stored
in one file (I'm assuming just stored non-windowed data in files and then
gantt chart form data, with nothing else in between).

Samantha