[cl-typesetting-devel] Re: [cl-pdf-devel] Character encoding?

Marc Battyani marc.battyani at fractalconcept.com
Mon Feb 25 19:33:31 UTC 2008

Attila Lendvai wrote:
>>  But my basic point is that cl-typesetting and/or cl-pdf should know what
>>  encoding the Lisp is using (i.e. how should one interpret the values
>>  returned by CHAR-CODE) and should know how to map those to the numeric
>>
> the proper fix would be to refactor cl-pdf to write into binary
> streams and do the character encoding itself (i'd use babel, but Marc
> would prefer no external dependency). i've done that once (the branch
> is still laying around on my harddrive), but after a day of work i
> gave up. it produced a pdf that almost worked (the toc could display
> unicode text) but i made a mistake somewhere in the process and it
> produced corrupt files. as i don't know a bit about the pdf file
> format, i gave up instead of debugging it.

I think Peter is right here. It's a cl-typesetting issue and not a
cl-pdf one because he wants to substitute another character that will
result in the same glyph in the current selected font. So it's not an
encoding problem and in fact other substitutions, such as ligatures for
instance, would be useful.

Marc