[cl-store-devel] numeric code

Nikolaus Demmel demmeln at in.tum.de
Fri Sep 30 22:06:16 UTC 2011

Am 30.09.2011 um 23:32 schrieb Hraban Luyat:
> Is there a reason for the necessity of codes being numeric? I thought
> it would be nice to use symbols. Specifically, the class name of an
> object. That way each class has an obvious unique code and I do not
> need to manually keep track of which ones are in use and which ones
> are not. Then I can forget about register-code entirely.

Without knowing too much detail about the implementation, I guess it is mainly an implementation reason. The code is directly used for serializing. IIRC you can only use 256 different values anyway, at least with the default backend.

I like your idea though. I guess one would have to maintain a table of codes and corresponding symbols and use codes still for actual serialization, otherwise there could be a very significant (space) overhead if you dump big data.

> I would like to comment further on cl-store in this otherwise quite
> abrupt e-mail, but I have not really used it yet. So far the API looks
> cool, though. Thanks for maintaining and writing cl-store.

As Sean is looking for a new owner for cl-store I guess you will probably have to implement this yourself.

Best,
Nikolaus