[cl-semantic-devel] Choice of Lisp

brandon.werner at mac.com brandon.werner at mac.com
Tue Feb 7 16:11:11 UTC 2006

All:

There has been some debate among the researchers about which CL to
use for this project. Although I have experience with both SBCL and
Allegro, it would appear that Allegro is not going to release their
8.0 evaluation version anytime soon and this is the only version that
includes the asdf: functionality we will be using to maintain and
install builds of cl-semantic.

Yes asdf can be easily added to Allegro, but SBCL is very easy to
setup, and in a project where are are attempting to get as many
developers interested as possible, many whom may not have university
access to Allegro, it seems important that we have a CL that is ready
right out of the box (we may even group all the source for Wilber and
other necessary requires in to one .gz for easy deployment in to each
developer's repository).

However, from my experience using SLIME with Allegro and SBCL, SBCL
is extremely slow and is generally buggy on OSX do to Apple's Crash
Reporter actively looking for Mach exceptions because Mac OSX has no
idea that a program can do  a SIGSEGV and keep on living.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I would also like suggestions on a GUI environment for cl-semantic,
perhaps ltk (uses Tk).

Also, please start posting directly to the message group instead of
to individual email addresses so that we can leverage our new home at
common-lisp.net. We have had many people joint the development and
announce list and we owe it to them to let everyone know what is
going on, even if they have yet to join the project.

Thanks!

Brandon Werner
cl-semantic project administrator
http://common-lisp.net/project/cl-semantic/
brandon.werner at mac.com

cl-semanic is a collection of RDF/OWL extraction and relationship
parsing macros written in Common Lisp.