[SPAM] Re: [cl-prevalence-devel] restore operation fails with linked objects

Evan Monroig evan.monroig at gmail.com
Sun Mar 16 08:32:28 UTC 2008

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 11:11 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe
<scaekenberghe at common-lisp.net> wrote:
>  Each transaction is serialized independently from each other, using a
>  fresh serialization-state.
>  A snapshot is taken as a whole, correctly resolving identical objects.

Yes this is what I understood, so changing this would require hacking
around the serialization package.

>  It would sure be a nice experiment to somehow handle object-with-id
>  descendants (or all known objects) differently here: it somehow feels
>  like this should work, but I am not completely sure. I took a quick
>  look at the code and it would require some hacking into the
>  serialization code, specifically the serialization-state (known
>  objects).

Thanks for all your suggestions.  I finally worked around this by
transforming the objects referred to to forms that look like (list
'find-object-by-id id) where id is the integer id of the idea.  When I
need the information I then just call funcall and everything works :).
 It also somehow feels faster (I didn't benchmark), since
cl-prevalence doesn't have to recurse into the objects anymore and the
transaction logs are shorter.

Evan