[SPAM] Re: [cl-prevalence-devel] restore operation fails with linked objects

Sven Van Caekenberghe scaekenberghe at common-lisp.net
Fri Mar 14 14:11:18 UTC 2008

Evan,

On 13 Mar 2008, at 10:58, Evan Monroig wrote:

> As Nico wrote the behavior I'm having is not necessarily a bug, but
> anyway there still is a problem in that recovering from the
> transaction
> log or from the snapshot yields different results.  I think that the
> "correct" way to go would be to check for OBJECT-WITH-ID descendants
> while making and/or replaying the transaction log.

Each transaction is serialized independently from each other, using a
fresh serialization-state.
A snapshot is taken as a whole, correctly resolving identical objects.

It would sure be a nice experiment to somehow handle object-with-id
descendants (or all known objects) differently here: it somehow feels
like this should work, but I am not completely sure. I took a quick
look at the code and it would require some hacking into the
serialization code, specifically the serialization-state (known
objects).

Good luck and keep us informed !

Sven

PS: I annotated you lisp paste.