[cl-ppcre-devel] New CL-UNICODE release 0.1.1

Chris Dean ctdean at sokitomi.com
Thu Jul 24 19:41:14 UTC 2008

"Dave Pawson" <dave.pawson at gmail.com> writes:
> I don't want to convert, I want to read utf-8 from a file, work in
> 'characters', build them into strings and write them back to file,
> in utf-8

This just works.  You probably need to use external-format with OPEN
(or more likely WITH-OPEN-FILE) to indicate the encoding you are
using.  This will read one line of file in LispWorks:

  (with-open-file (in file-name
                      :external-format :utf-8
                      :element-type 'character)
    (read-line in))

> seems we have a different definition of 'working'.

Please explain what doesn't work.  Maybe a code sample would help.

Cheers,
Chris Dean