[cl-ppcre-devel] define-parse-tree-synonym

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Wed Oct 12 07:43:54 UTC 2005

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 09:54:55 +1100, Igor Plekhov <penguin at ocean.vvo.ru> wrote:

> Here are similar problems:
> http://groups.google.com/group/linux.debian.bugs.dist/browse_thread/thread/da096a2268700b57/87d0b29b4fe81ee%2387d0b29b4fe81ee?sa=X&oi=groupsr&start=1&num=3

Thanks.

> In that case will CL-PPCRE ever compile regular expression (at
> evaluation time for example)?  If it will, at which time?

CL-PPCRE will always compile regular expressions.  The question is
whether it'll do it once or each time SCAN is invoked.  It can
pre-compile the regular expression if it can figure out that the
regular expression in question is constant.  See the compiler macros
in api.lisp and the definition of DEFINE-COMPILER-MACRO in the CLHS.

> Will it, if I change defparameter to defconstant?

Maybe.  I think that depends on the interplay between backquote and
constants in each Lisp implementation (CMUCL, in your case).  See
CONSTANTP in the CLHS.

Cheers,
Edi.