[cl-plus-ssl-devel] Speeding Up cl+ssl on clisp

Pixel // pinterface pinterface at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 21:56:21 UTC 2007

"David Lichteblau" <david at lichteblau.com> wrote:
> Quoting Pixel // pinterface (pinterface at gmail.com):
> > I am, or rather my program is, busy moving megabytes worth of data using
> > cl+ssl/clisp, rather than bytes, so it being slow isn't a viable option
> > (apparently users are impatient?). And boy is it slow! So I hacked it up
and
> > made it faster by by an order of zippiness.
>
> Thank you, checked in.  (Also your client cert patch.)

Spiffy. Thanks!

> How large is the speedup you are seeing?

Unfortunately, I didn't think to do any timing (hangs head in shame) so
can't tell you precisely, but it was roughly 15-20 minutes versus 20-30
seconds downloading ~1MB of data.

Elsewhere, "David Lichteblau" <david at lichteblau.com> wrote more:
> > In the client test, which just connects to google, CLISP still needs two
> > to three times as much real time as SBCL.  (But run time is identical.)
> > So probably something is still blocking for no reason.
>
> This problem appears to be in the BIO code that writes to Lisp streams.
>
> I've just committed a patch allowing direct access to file descriptors,
> and a function cl+ssl:stream-fd making it easy to by-pass the BIO code
> when it is not needed.
> The remaining speed issues in CLISP seem to be gone then.

Indeed! CVS cl+ssl and the patch you sent to the drakma list made about an
eight second difference in my app over just my own patch.

Thanks! I appreciate both the speed increase and not having to maintain a
patch to cl+ssl just for my app. :)