[cl-plus-ssl-devel] Speeding Up cl+ssl on clisp

David Lichteblau david at lichteblau.com
Sat Jul 7 16:29:53 UTC 2007

* I wrote:
> How large is the speedup you are seeing?
>
> In the client test, which just connects to google, CLISP still needs two
> to three times as much real time as SBCL.  (But run time is identical.)
> So probably something is still blocking for no reason.

This problem appears to be in the BIO code that writes to Lisp streams.

I've just committed a patch allowing direct access to file descriptors,
and a function cl+ssl:stream-fd making it easy to by-pass the BIO code
when it is not needed.

As as example, replace code like
  (let ((s (make-ssl-client-stream <stream>)))
    (close s))

with
  (let ((s (make-ssl-client-stream (stream-fd <stream>))))
    (close <stream>)
    (close s))

The remaining speed issues in CLISP seem to be gone then.

d.