[cl-opengl-devel] Glut fix on OSX

xristos xristos at suspicious.org
Mon Jan 26 22:23:19 UTC 2009

 > The window close is absolutely crucial for development, otherwise
GLUT
 > will call exit() and kill your Lisp session.

Apple GLUT has similar functions to freeglut (as i discovered online
with a bit of searching).

There is glutWMCloseFunc to avoid killing the lisp when a window is
closed
and glutCheckLoop to avoid the non-returning glut main loop. With these
two functions available there should be no reason for one to use
freeglut
on OSX and require X11.

 > I think it'd be more worthwhile to port FreeGLUT (or one of the other
 > GLUT clones) to Cocoa but I have no idea how feasible that would be.
 > ISTR it'd be hard.

I think patching cl-opengl to account for the aforementioned functions
in Apple GLUT would be easier and would certainly go a long way towards
making the whole process of using lisp+glut on osx very easy (no extra
dependencies). I would do it myself if had the time, but i already use
a custom glut binding with these issues resolved and it works great.