[cl-opengl-devel] How is work normally done on this project?

raito at raito.com raito at raito.com
Fri Oct 10 18:44:02 UTC 2008

Quoting Luís Oliveira <luismbo at gmail.com>:

> You'll have to be more specific. If you're looking for ideas, see this
> thread: <http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.cl-opengl.devel/185>

I think I can better explain what I was asking now. I wasn't asking
about what work to do, I was asking about how to go about making sure
that work gets in where it's supposed to go.

In some projects, one emails patches directly to the maintainer, who
takes over from there.

In some projects, one emails patches to the development list, and the
maintainer takes it from there, but others might use rejected patches
on their own.

In some projects, everyone is given access to source control, and just
throws stuff in (a rather wild and wooly version of development, but it
exists).

And that's aside from the process by which it's decided what paches go
in or don't go in to official versions. Sometimes the maintainer
decides, sometimes there's a committee, sometimes everyone just throws
stuff in, etc.

I'd like to 'play nice', but 'nice' means different things in different
places. I'd like to know what 'nice' means for cl-opengl.

For example, I've seen some patches submitted via this list, and I've
seen you say 'thanks, I've put it in.'

I've done some work on one of the items suggested (that being Redbook
examples), and I'd like to see them get put into the 'official' stuff
(realizing, of course, that cl-opengl doesn't really have releases).
That's why I posted checker.lisp to the list. So how do I go about
getting into the darcs repository in a way that will keep everyone
happy with me?

Yes, I've used a lot of text here, but the answer I got before (while
useful) didn't answer the question I was asking. I hope that this is
clearer.

Neil Gilmore
raito at raito.com