[cl-opengl-devel] Project status and request for work

Bart Botta 00003b at gmail.com
Sun May 25 04:40:28 UTC 2008

On 5/24/08, Luís Oliveira <luismbo at gmail.com> wrote:

>   * A parenscript-like language for GLSL. See
>  <http://advogato.org/person/ingvar/diary/166.html> for an initial
>  attempt at doing that.

Might be nicer to have something smarter than parenscript, so it could
do type inference, and maybe some simple optimizations.

>   * Adapt the OpenGL documentation for cl-opengl. (Something like what
>  the Python bindings have, I suppose.)

Something that could hook into slimes documentation hotkeys (C-c C-d
h, etc.) would be particularly nice :)

>   * Translate the rest of the redbook examples to cl-opengl/cl-glut.
>  (Not exactly a big priority, but it'd be nice anyhow.)
>
>   * Finish the bindings. While everything is available from the %gl
>  package (since that is autogenerated from the spec) not everything has
>  been lispified yet.

I'd probably lean towards writing some examples of more modern OpenGL
usage, particularly for someone who uses GL a lot already.  Would also
be a good way to prioritize
which of the missing bindings would be useful to wrap further.

>   * Not exactly specific to cl-opengl, but something better (in
>  particular, more Lisp-friendly) than GLUT would be useful. I learned
>  about LGLFW recently (<http://bollhavet.ath.cx:1080/~mikezor/lglfw/>)
>  but I have not tried it. Porting cl-glut's CLOS-based API to that
>  might be interesting.
see also http://www.cliki.net/cl-glfw , which claims to work with cl-opengl.

Examples of using cl-opengl with other alternatives to glut would also
be good, lispbuilder-sdl, CLX, direct glx/wgl/agl/etc...

Performance testing/tuning would also be useful, see how close to C we
can get, and figure out what sorts of things need work (like texture
uploading doesn't look like it will be good until CFFI gets an API for
sending lisp arrays to FFI without a copy).

-b-