[cl-opengl-devel] Project status and request for work

Luís Oliveira luismbo at gmail.com
Sun May 25 01:43:24 UTC 2008

On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 10:42 PM, Odd Rune Strømmen Lykkebø
<oddrunesl at gmail.com> wrote:
> my name is (as you probably can see!) Odd Rune, and this is my
> hello-mail to the list.

Welcome!

> As with all open source projects, there is sort of a wall to climb
> before one can actually contribute with anything useful -- I would
> therefore be very grateful if anyone could point me in the direction
> of "useful stuff for a project-newbie".

I'm not sure how newbie-friendly these tasks are, but here's what
springs to my mind:

  * A parenscript-like language for GLSL. See
<http://advogato.org/person/ingvar/diary/166.html> for an initial
attempt at doing that.

  * Adapt the OpenGL documentation for cl-opengl. (Something like what
the Python bindings have, I suppose.)

  * Translate the rest of the redbook examples to cl-opengl/cl-glut.
(Not exactly a big priority, but it'd be nice anyhow.)

  * Finish the bindings. While everything is available from the %gl
package (since that is autogenerated from the spec) not everything has
been lispified yet.

  * Write an automated test suite.

  * Not exactly specific to cl-opengl, but something better (in
particular, more Lisp-friendly) than GLUT would be useful. I learned
about LGLFW recently (<http://bollhavet.ath.cx:1080/~mikezor/lglfw/>)
but I have not tried it. Porting cl-glut's CLOS-based API to that
might be interesting.

Hope that helps. Have fun!

--
Luís Oliveira