[cl-opengl-devel] extension loading + wrapper generation

James J Bielman jamesjb at jamesjb.com
Fri Nov 17 01:49:49 UTC 2006

On Nov 13, 2006, at 2:52 AM, Bart Botta wrote:

> I noticed some of the cl-opengl code uses things like (:pointer
> gl:double) instead of :pointer for defcfun parameter types, is this
> something the generated bindings should do also? (and if so, is
> (:pointer (:pointer foo)) correct syntax for foo**?)
> Wrapper generator handles either option, just wasn't sure what
> benefits it had, and if it was worth dropping cffi 0.9.1 support for.

I started doing this for new functions that I added bindings for
because it was more self-documenting.  The previous convention had
been to add the pointer type in comments after the argument, which
is less than ideal IMHO.

Personally I prefer to parameterize the pointer type, but it does
indeed require a more recent CFFI.  One advantage to this is that
when a type checking system is (someday) added to CFFI, the OpenGL
bindings should be able to take advantage of it if the pointers
are typed.

James