[cl-opengl-devel] A few questions about cl-opengl

Luís Oliveira luismbo at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 20:30:30 UTC 2006

On 2006-apr-11, at 18:28, Brad Beveridge wrote:
> 1) Are the bindings all hand generated, or is there some simple
> automation helping out?

All written by hand. :-)

> 2) Does this project aim to generate raw bindings, and then a Lispy
> layer on top?

We're making it lispy as we go.

> 3) I noticed the OpenGL2 logo - is that the target version?

Yes.

> 4) Is there a design in place to handle OGL extensions?

No that I know of. Oliver might have some ideas. It'll probably be
something based on cffi:foreign-symbol-pointer.

> I did notice something that looked like it copied a Lisp array into a
> foriegn array, but IMHO this will be too slow in the long term.

CFFI needs some work on shareable vector interface. It's just waiting
for someone who really needs that. :-)

> I'm toying with the idea of writing some OGL stuff in Lisp, and it
> looks to me that since array operations are so common in OpenGL, that
> they ought to be well supported by the binding.  Am I making sense
> here, or are there aspects of this I am not understanding?  It is
> quite possible, I'm relatively new to Lisp :)

Go for it. cl-opengl will certainly continue to improve.

--
Luís Oliveira
http://student.dei.uc.pt/~lmoliv/