[cl-opengl-devel] A few questions about cl-opengl

Brad Beveridge brad.beveridge at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 17:28:17 UTC 2006

Hi all, I've just been taking a quick peek at the OGL bindings that
have been generated for this project.  The bindings look nice.

1) Are the bindings all hand generated, or is there some simple
automation helping out?
2) Does this project aim to generate raw bindings, and then a Lispy
layer on top?
3) I noticed the OpenGL2 logo - is that the target version?
4) Is there a design in place to handle OGL extensions?

>From the quick peek that I took glDrawArrays is not yet supported.
I'm guessing that this will require a bit of framework, because of the
need to feed glDrawArrays (and other array based functions) data that
won't move with GC.  Are there any thoughts on how this will work?  I
would guess that using C's malloc might be an idea, but then there is
potential for leaks unless you proxy the array with a Lisp object that
can free the malloc'ed array when collected.
I did notice something that looked like it copied a Lisp array into a
foriegn array, but IMHO this will be too slow in the long term.

I'm toying with the idea of writing some OGL stuff in Lisp, and it
looks to me that since array operations are so common in OpenGL, that
they ought to be well supported by the binding.  Am I making sense
here, or are there aspects of this I am not understanding?  It is
quite possible, I'm relatively new to Lisp :)

Cheers
Brad