[cl-muproc-devel] Some suggestions

Jochen Schmidt js at codeartist.org
Tue May 16 10:37:31 UTC 2006

Hello,

First I want to thank for making available CL-MUPROC; I think that
Erlang style concurrency is a very interesting and valuable addition
to Common Lisp. Some people have already pointed out that CL-MUPROCS
process implementation is to heavy-weight for Erlang style
concurrency. While I think that this is true, I do not see it as a
big problem. Even if CL-MUPROC will not get such more scalable
process implementations it will be a good API for doing
multiprocessing in CL (instead of using the MP facilities of the
different Lisps directly).

I personally think that the muproc-* prefixes are unnecessary.
Particularily names like MUPROCS-SEND or MUPROCS-RECEIVE might be
better spelled MUPROCS:SEND or MUPROCS:RECEIVE with the option to
import this symbols into an application package and then just use
SEND and RECEIVE. Using packages this way would also enable to use
your own prefixes by just adding appropriate nicknames to the MUPROCS
package (MU:SEND, MU:RECEIVE).

ciao,
Jochen