[cl-markdown-devel] The function STREAM is undefined?

Gary King gwking at metabang.com
Wed Oct 31 14:55:08 UTC 2007

Hi Brandon,

The good news is that I have NOT been able to recreate the problem
you're seeing. Of course, that's also the bad news! Given the error,
my guess is that something has gone wrong in the file dependencies
(i.e., I've missed one) and when you build files get compiled in a
different order. To be more clear, my guess is that a form like this
(from utilities.lisp)

> (defmethod render-to-stream (document style stream-specifier)
>   (with-stream-from-specifier (stream stream-specifier :output
> 				      :if-exists :supersede)
>     (let ((*current-document* document)
>           (*current-format* style)
>           (*output-stream* stream))
>       (setf (level document) 0
>             (markup document) nil)
>       (render document style stream))))

is being compiled before the with-stream-from-specifier macro is
defined. Lisp says, "OK, with-stream-from-specifier and stream must
be functions. I'll wait and get their definitions later." But when
later comes and Markdown calls render-to-stream, Lisp finds that
there is no function associated with stream and complains.

Here are some things to try in no particular order.

1. Do you have success if specify a different stream. For example, t
or *standard-output* or a pathname (if my guess is right, this won't
help).

2. Does trying (asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op 'cl-markdown :force t) help?

3. Does deleting all the fasls and recompiling help?

If you could try these steps and send the complete output, that would
help. I'd suggest doing something like

(dribble "cl-markdown-problem.txt")
(asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op 'cl-markdown :force t)
(dribble)

and then mailing the file (my apologies if I'm being too explicit
<smile>).

thanks,

--
Gary Warren King, metabang.com