[cl-json-devel] Encoding DOUBLE-FLOAT

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Mon Jun 27 15:16:07 UTC 2011

On 6/26/11 Jun 26 -4:10 PM, Boris Smilga wrote:

> On 25 Jun 2011, at 20:41, Boris Smilga wrote:
>
>> CCL seems to be in breach of the standard in this case.  I have opened
>> a ticket on their Trac, see http://trac.clozure.com/ccl/ticket/872 .
>> A compliant application, I believe, should expect a STYLE-WARNING
>> here; a SIMPLE-WARNING should be considered an implementation quirk.
>
> Just to keep you informed: our colleagues over at Clozure had the
> warning type fixed to some subtype of style-warning.  So, we may count
> on correct behaviour in the repository version and future releases of CCL.

I agree that fixing this will be A Good Thing, but even when it is
fixed, I don't believe that a library should emit even a STYLE-WARNING,
if at all possible.  So I think it would be best for us either to keep
the expedient I have put in (which I concede is not elegant), or to
muffle any warnings about unnecessary typecase branches (since they are
compiled away, anyhow).

I am not a believer in leaving warnings around, because if one starts to
leave benign ones around, one gets in the habit of ignoring them, and
ends up missing warnings that indicate real problems....

best,