[cl-debian] Re: stumpwm: Clarify README.Debian - can't understand a thing how to start this wm

Luca Capello luca at pca.it
Thu May 25 15:02:50 UTC 2006

Hello,

I'm the new maintainer of StumpWM and I found this bug, sorry if I
didn't address it before uploading the last version.

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 23:27:47 +0100, Jari Aalto wrote:
> Package: stumpwm
> Version: 0.0.4+cvs20050819-1
[...]
> README.Debian reads:

This is the upstream README, not README.Debian.  In fact, there's no
README.Debian in that package version (which is still available in
testing), but only in the unstable one (version 1:20060513-1).

> This is too technical. What is "boot up lisp"? How it's being done?
> What command to run, packages to install. Etc.

I would say that it's not too technical at all.  If you know what
Common Lisp is, you should be able to understand the upstream README.
Moreover, this package is not intended for common end-user, but for
users that have a specific background.

> Please provide step by stem intruction how to start this window
> system, otherwise README.Debian doe snot reflect the needs of
> regular Debian user.

As I said, it wasn't README.Debian, but the upstream README.  In the
package version 1:20060513-1, I added a README.Debian to explain how
to use the SLIME swank together with StumpWM.

I'm not inclined to add specific information about how to start
StumpWM to the README.Debian, as the upstream README is quite
self-explanatory.  I cc:ed this mail to the Common Lisp in Debian
mailing list [1], in order to have other comments/suggestions about
this bug.  In case of no activity for 7 days, I'll tag this bug as
wont-fix.

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca

[1] http://cl-debian.alioth.debian.org