[cl-debian] cl-swank deb + A solution for Slime licensing issues?

Alceste Scalas alceste at muvara.org
Sat Oct 15 18:31:15 UTC 2005

Il giorno sab, 15/10/2005 alle 14.05 +0200, René van Bevern ha scritto:
> Fairly up-to-date slime packages are also in our Darcs repositories

Ok, I must confess that I completely missed it and your *huge* work.

Next time I will check more carefully before sending emails.  I promise.

> Well, that splitting of slime and cl-swank for a distributed system
> sounds interesting (to me), like it is seen in one of the videos on
> common-lisp.net. You can probably send your changes to our Slime
> repository. :-)

I worked on it, and I've just sent a patch to the maintainer
(pvaneynd at debian.org).  I can forward it here too, if needed.

While making swank more common-lisp-controller-friendly, I've noticed
that xref.lisp (the file that makes Slime non-free) is actually needed
only when using GNU CLisp.

I've tested Slime with cmucl and sbcl, and it seems to work fine even
without that file.

Maybe xref.lisp could be removed from Slime deb sources, thus dropping
GNU CLisp support, but making the package free.  Is it feasible?

I can work on it and send a patch, if you think it's worth.

Regards,

alceste
--
Alceste Scalas <alceste at muvara.org>