[cl-debian] cl packages repository

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Sun May 8 20:43:44 UTC 2005

On Sat, May 07, 2005 at 10:21:04PM +0200, Peter Van Eynde wrote:
> rm at fabula.de wrote:
> >  - First of all, good idea to dissable running the tests during
> >    Hmm, in my local setup i wasn't so radical as to disable the
> >    tests, i just prepended the invocation of run-tests.sh with
> >    a '-' in the rules file (so a failing test wouldn't stop the
> >    build).
>
> A failing test would not alone stop the build but prevent the subsystem
> from getting installed. This was the sb-bsd-socket problem: there was no
> /dev/log on the amd64 buildd, so the test failed, so the subsystem did not
> get installed.
>
> At least this is my understanding.

Hmm, i'm not shure whether we are talking about the same - i was refering to
the test suit in $(SBCL)/tests. Your rules file does the following:

	# start running tests
        GNUMAKE=make sh -c 'cd tests && sh ./run-tests.sh' || printf "the tests failed\n"
        # see what the result is
        touch build-arch-stamp

These tests seem to be meant as checks for the developers and not as a functionality-
test for builds (BTW, the comment is missleading - there's no check for the results).
I changed this into:

	# start running tests
        -GNUMAKE=make sh -c 'cd tests && sh ./run-tests.sh > test.log 2>&1' || printf "the tests failed\n"
        touch build-arch-stamp

The problem you refer to i part of the build of the contrib sub system. From the file
'STANDARDS' in this directory:

*------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| A contrib package must contain a Makefile.  This is to have three targets
|
| all:     # do whatever compilation is necessary
| test:    # run the package tests
| install: # copy all necessary files into $(BUILD_ROOT)$(INSTALL_DIR)

and later on:

* Tests

.
| You must provide a 'test' target in your package Makefile.  This will
| be called to test whether your package is OK for installation, so if
| you have used SBCL internal interfaces or similar, this would be a
| good place to test that they still exist, etc.
.

Soooo - hmm, looking at the file $(SBCL)/contrib/sb-bsd-sockets/test.lisp there
seems to be a feature test #+internet-available  -- maybe it's enough to
add this to the sylog-test (even so the whole thing is rather stupid - a
test for build success shouldn't just write a silly message to the system
log with level _7_ ...).

> >  - there's another bug lurking in the build: your rukes-file invokes
> >    sbcl using the -noprogrammer switch. According to the NEWS file:
>
> Fixed.
>
> >  - As for the unicode/Locale issue: your rule-file silently assumes
> >    that en_US.UTF-8 is available on the build host (which _might_ be
> >    true for the official build daemons but not for private setups that
> >    use apt-build). I've gone the long way of following the suggestions
> >    in the Debian package maintainer manual. I'll prepare a patch against
> >    your new sources if you want me to.
>
> You mean 6.7.6? I will implement it asap.

Ok, i could've sent you a patch :-)

Cheers Ralf Mattes