[chicago-lisp] Let's organize: meeting 2006-12-02 @ 3p

John Quigley jquigley at jquigley.com
Tue Nov 28 19:04:22 UTC 2006

David Douthitt wrote:
> The Chicago LUG would be the Chicago LISP User's Group, yes? ;-)

Ahhh, synchronicity in action!

> Sounds excellent.  I'd like to be there - and I'll try - but I need
> directions.  Not "Take the Von Ryan expressway to the Art Institute" but
> directions for dummies ;-)  Depending on location, I'd either come in
> I90 or I94.  Coming in on 94 is the route I know best...

Excuse me for not being more specific, here's the details:

* Google map: http://tinyurl.com/mdqb3
   350 N LaSalle Street
   Chicago, Illinois 60610-4726
   (reception on 6th floor)

   The Institute of Design is located at 350 North LaSalle Street
   in downtown Chicago, on the southwest corner of LaSalle and Kinzie
   streets, just north of the Chicago River, between the Merchandise
   Mart and the old "Traffic Court" building.

If you're coming in off the Dan Ryan, you'll probably want to take the
Ohio St. exit, and travel north-bound on LaSalle.

As for the IoD itself.  The main entrance is on the north-east corner of
the building (aka, the SW corner of the Kinzie St. and LaSalle
intersection).  There will be a door guard at the entrance, feel free to
knock at the door (if you're early, it may be locked) or ask him
questions.  Tell him you're with the Chicago Lisp Group and are meeting
on the 6th floor; he's very friendly and will guide you.  I'll do my
best to arrive rather early (around 2:30p), so that nobody is left
confused or without company.

> And is there parking?  How much?

Yes, plenty of free parking, often on Kinzie St, just WEST of LaSalle.
The IoD has a parking garage as well, on Kinzie St, just EAST of
LaSalle, that's $6 per day for valid visitors (you'll be a valid visitor).

If there's any confusion, now or at the time of the meeting, I want you
to call me on my cell at 312.351.3671.

On another note: we invite you to BYOB or food, as suits your taste.
While alcohol is expressly permitted, we're obviously open to anyone of
any age.  Furthermore, the Chicago LUG (and I would love to make this a
tradition within the Lisp group, as well), always goes out for food and
drinks afterwards (formerly to Goose Island, but we're thinking of
trying a new place this go-around).  Naturally, we extend the invitation
to any of you to join us.

Thanks for the response guys, I'm looking forward to meeting all of you
and making something of this group.

- John Quigley