[chicago-lisp] (no subject)

David Douthitt ssrat at mailbag.com
Mon Dec 4 19:43:45 UTC 2006

Damien Kick wrote:
> John Quigley gave a presentation on using SLIME with SBCL on a
> Debian system yesterday during the Chicago LUG meeting.

I saw it, and it was delightful.  I remembered enough of it to be able
to get SLIME working for me on Mac OS X with SBCL and Aquamacs Emacs...

I also managed (in part) to get Viper mode working with SLIME.  VIPER
is "Viper Is a Package for Emacs Rebels" :-)  It's a vi emulation mode
for Emacs designed for those who don't necessarily want to use Emacs
commands but want to stick with vi.

> After the presentation, John and four of us who came to the meeting
> mostly because of our interest in the chicago-lisp group got
> together for a brief chat about chicago-lisp.

I missed the LISP meeting, even though I was there for the other LUG
presentations (being a Linux/UNIX kind of fellow, the LUG was as much
fun as the LISP meeting....)

> John asked if everyone was mostly
> interested in lisp in particular or rather a broader range of
> topics, for instance functional languages such as Scheme or ML.
> There was a bit of difference of opinion on this topic and I think
> it might still be a bit of an open question.

I spoke with John afterwards, and that sounds about right.
Personally, I'm interested in LISP in particular - and not in AI.

> One suggestion was
> that the group might want to start host a web-site, perhaps as an
> excuse for a group project.

I tried Araneida; if AllegroServe is already chosen, that's fine; if
not, Araneida might be fun.  It *is* an open source project after all,
and it works fine on SBCL (another open source project...).  Araneida
is the web server driving CLiki.

Would it be possible to create a SLIME link to a development web
server/LISP image at the hosting site?  Sounds like that would be
fantastic - and it is possible over SSH (found a link describing that
very thing...)