[chicago-lisp] (no subject)

Damien Kick dkixk at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 3 23:12:25 UTC 2006

John Quigley gave a presentation on using SLIME with SBCL on a Debian
system yesterday during the Chicago LUG meeting.  There is a PDF file
version of his presentation but I forgot to jot down the URL for it.
John, perhaps you'd send it to the list?  Since the presentation was
made using Debain, and therefore used apt-get, somebody asked about
getting the packages if one didn't use Debian.  The following two
sites are good places for lots of general information about lisp and
have links  to all of the packages mentioned during the presentation:
<http://common-lisp.net/> <http://www.cl-user.net/asp/root-dir>.

After the presentation, John and four of us who came to the meeting
mostly because of our interest in the chicago-lisp group got together
for a brief chat about chicago-lisp.  We talked about what to do
going forward and I believe that the consensus was to try to start
meeting on a  more regular basis.  Apparently the space being used
for the CLUG meetings would be available for other chicago-lisp
gatherings.  John asked if everyone was mostly interested in lisp in
particular or rather a broader range of topics, for instance
functional languages such as Scheme or ML.  There was a bit of
difference of opinion on this topic and I think it might still be a
bit of an open question.  One suggestion was that the group might
want to start host a web-site, perhaps as an excuse for a group
project.  A wiki as well as cliki <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
CLiki> and AllegroServer <http://allegroserve.sourceforge.net/> were
discussed.  Another idea was to adopt a project from Common Lisp
Gardeners <http://tinyurl.com/ymgp7h>.  For those who might not be
familiar with the CL Gardeners (ibid):