[cffi-devel] defcfun optimization idea

Luís Oliveira luismbo at gmail.com
Tue May 13 18:41:32 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 4:51 PM, Attila Lendvai
<attila.lendvai at gmail.com> wrote:
>  it may be only a heuristic, but most of the time the return value
>  could be annotated which would help the compiler.

Sounds straightforward for integer types, and there's a pointer type
somewhere as well. What about floats? From the manual:

"On most but not all systems, :float and :double represent a Lisp
single-float and double-float, respectively. It is not so useful to
consider the relationship between Lisp types and C types as
isomorphic, as simply to recognize the relationship, and relative
precision, among each respective category."

I don't remember what the implications are.

>  it would also be useful if there was a way to tell defcfun to declare
>  the emitted defun to be inline.

Why not let the user decide that?

--
Luís Oliveira