[cells-gtk-devel] Reentrant Cell ?

Ken Tilton kentilton at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 21:48:30 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 3:58 PM, Ingo Bormuth <Bormuth at web.de> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> can a cell somehow ask to be evaluated in the future?

You can  have lazy cells which will not get calculated until asked, but it
sounds like you might want the calculation running while other things are
going on? Or kicked off at some point? And then do you need propagation from
that cell kicked off?

You might do something with Gtk timers (ISTR those) combined with an input
Cell if the GTk timer mechanism is attractive for any reason.

> I have a cells-gtk application. Some calculation take
> quite a time which makes the gui quite unresponsive.
> I'd like to have pseudoparallelism within the cell layer.
>
> One hack I thought about is to introduce a timer-cell
> that is updated from within gtk's main loop. A c-sleep
> function would explicitly request those updates.
> Taken together this would make for a tiny scheduler.

OK, well, as per the above I am not exactly sure what is required, and it
may be possible to do something in cooperation with Cells as it stands, more
is hard to say without more deets.

hth, kenny