[cells-gtk-devel] Re: List still alive?

Peter Hildebrandt peter.hildebrandt at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 09:57:34 UTC 2007

Hi Carlo,

I'm glad you're joining the community!  I believe cells-gtk is a great
project (in some important respects the best GUI toolkit I have used so
far), and it'd be great to see it growing even better.

As far as my work is concerned, Peter is exactly right:
> Other some-time contributors are not dead, just really busy for a long
> time!

I have just finished moving back from Berkeley to Germany and gotten back
to work on the drawing area widget based on cl-cairo2.  My plan for the
next week or two is to catch up with Tamas' recent work on cl-cairo2 and
put together a close-to-release version.

My current state of development runs quite stable (I'm using it heavily in
my reserach project and I haven't found bugs in a while), but still lacks
a few things
- there is no support for drawing (bitmap) images
- the redrawing mechanism is built around the very first prerelease of
cl-cairo2
- postscript/pdf export

My current issue with the newer versions of cl-cairo2 is that they depend
on XDamage -- and I want to avoid introducing a dependency in cells-gtk
(especially, since GTK tells us when a redraw is necessary, hence we do
not need XDamage anyway).  Tamas, if you're reading this, what would you
suggest?

Additionally I have worked on the listbox widget and added the capability
to edit entries right in the listbox.  Once the editing is completed, a
lispy callback function is called to deal with the new value.  This one is
ready to commit -- I'll mail out a patch soon.

Based on that I've built an editable property list for my app, somewhat
like the "object inspector" in GUI builders such as Delphi.  You supply it
with a list of entries (field-name, getter-fn, setter-fn, editable-p), and
it shows a three-column listview (field-name, current-value, read-only
(bool)).  (I haven't found a way yet to make only certain rows editable.
It seems that in GTK a column as a whole is editable or not, since this
property is bound to the column renderer).  This one is currently part of
my app, not of cells-gtk, but it would be quite easy to integrate it in
cells-gtk.

Comments welcome!

Peter