[cells-gtk-devel] only works the first time

Lelanthran Manickum lkman at webmail.co.za
Sun May 28 13:48:50 UTC 2006

Hello

On Sun, 28 May 2006 08:50:49 -0400
 Peter Denno <peter.denno at nist.gov> wrote:
>On Sunday 28 May 2006 07:34, Lelanthran Manickum wrote:

<snipped>

>> I'm now trying to save a core/image file, but it cannot
>> be done (clisp complains about a foreign pointer from
>> a previous session that is invalid) and I assume that
>> foreign-pointers are not valid between sessions
>> (I, for one, cannot imagine a way for a C pointer
>> to be consistent between successive runs).

I'll address this at the end.

<snipped>

>the recompilation that
>is doing anything here, but that gtk-ffi:load-gtk-libs is
>wrapped in a
>eval-when :compile-toplevel. I think if you should call
>load-gtk-libs on
>restart.

Ok; I cannot actually get gtk-ffi loaded without first
removing the compiled gtk-ffi compiled file, so I cannot
call load-gtk-libs at all. I've modified the load.lisp
file that cells-gtk came with to make the changes to my
global asdf:*central-repository*, and I've got anther file
which just calls (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op 'cells) and
all the other asdf modules. However,
(asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op 'gtk-ffi) won't work unless
the compiled gtk-ffi file is removed, and then it compiles
it.

On another note:
I just now attempted loading a corefile which was saved
after loading+compiling everything that was needed (and
the test application worked as well), however both clisp
and
cmucl die before I get to a repl. The error message (clisp)

is:
$ clisp -M gtk-cells.mem
*** - FFI::WRITE-MEMORY-AS: #<INVALID FOREIGN-POINTER
#x00000000> comes from a
      previous Lisp session and is invalid
The following restarts are available:
SKIP           :R1      skip (SAVEINITMEM gtk-cells.mem)
STOP           :R2      stop loading file
/home/lee/test/cells-gtk-2006-02-16/run-demo.lisp
ABORT          :R3      ABORT
Break 1 [2]>

Any ideas how I can get corefiles to automagically
reinit ffi pointers?

thanks in advance
Lee

<snipped>