[cells-gtk-devel] Cells-gtk on Lispworks 5.0

Peter Denno peter.denno at nist.gov
Thu Aug 10 18:50:05 UTC 2006

On Thursday 10 August 2006 13:26, Bill Atkins wrote:
> Is anyone using Cells-gtk successfully on Lispworks 5.0 (32-bit Linux,
> in particular)?  I can run my application once, but if I close the
> main window and then attempt to run it again, I get "Evaluating..." in
> the echo area and no window appears.
>
> I eventually took part of the test-gtk.lisp code, narrowed it down to
> the simplest case and tried that.  It still didn't work.  Strangely
> enough, loading the "test-gtk" package and running TEST-GTK:GTK-DEMO
> does not have this problem - that is, I can run that as many times as
> I like, and I get a window each time.  SBCL, however, seems to handle
> both of these without a problem.  I've pasted the source code to my
> test case and also the debug output from the first run (ie the run
> that works) and from the second run, where LispWorks seems to be
> perpetually "Evaluating...".
>
> Here is the paste: http://paste.lisp.org/display/23932

Hi,

You might have a look at start-app in root/cells-gtk/gtk-app.lisp. I coded the
use of restarts in that code. Despite reading up abot restarts in Practical
Common Lisp, I still don't think I quite understand them. So that code is
suspect, especially because it has #+lispworks in it. Maybe you could try the
code in start-app that currently is #-lispworks. It simply runs gtk-main. The
idea of the the #+lispworks alternative (stuff with
process-wait-with-timeout) is to give other processes (slime in particular) a
chance to run.

I don't have LW 5.0 yet so I probably can't be much help.

--
- Best regards,
   Peter