[cells-gtk-devel] New cells-gtk capabilities and new tarball]

rm at seid-online.de rm at seid-online.de
Tue May 31 10:56:32 UTC 2005

On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 02:09:28AM +0200, Andras Simon wrote:

> On Mon, 30 May 2005, Peter Denno wrote:
>

> >- There is a new procedure to find the gtk libraries. The path need be
> >specified in just one place: gtk-ffi/gtk-ffi.asd. (See details
> >INSTALL.txt) I
> >had hopes that for at least some lisps, it would not be necessary to
> >specify
> >the path to libraries at all. This doesn't seem to be the case. I'll
> >investigate more.
>
> It's even worse than that. Some Linux distributions (Fedora, Debian)
> don't have .so symlinks to the various .so.x.y.z files (or not to all
> of them). This is not gtk-specific, I ran into this with
> postgresql before.

No, no. no. That's _not_ worse. These links are an essential part of the inner
workings of the dynamic loader (/lib/ld.so.1, which is both a library and an
application) for (i assume) _all_ distributions of that OS.
These links are set up (and updated) by the /sbin/ldconfig utility. This is a needed
to support versioned libraries. An application that asks for an unspecific version
of library 'foo' will get whatever  foo.so points to (the latest version iff your box
is configured correctly). Asking for a specific version will result in foo.<version>.so.

Question to Peter: is there really a  Linux/BSD Lisp that does need a path for dll loading?

 Cheers Ralf Mattes