Fwd: [cells-devel] Where is each project?

Andy Chambers achambers.home at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 11 22:34:28 UTC 2008

>>  P.S. It would be real nice to have a canonical git repository for each
>>  on github or gitorious.
>
> I know CVS is quite old and people use darcs, git, svn, and mercurial
> these days, but what advantage is it exactly that we would get from
> migrating to git?

There is a repo for celtk on gitorious.  It includes an extra
"expander" widget that I created and leaves out some of the allegro
specific stuff that's in vanilla celtk.

I've never really worked seriously with any other VCS but here's some
of the things I like about Git.

1. encourages frequent commits (since commits can be done locally)
2. easy to create branches (and easier to merge them)
3. a nice interface to the history of your project (gitk)
4. a really nice emacs-mode (M-x git-status, M-x git-annotate)
5. easy creation of tarballs (git archive HEAD >project.gz)

It interoperates nicely with cvs so there's no problem with setting up
a repo on gitorious whose master branch simply mirrors the cvs repo.

I think I sent a message to the list a while back that shows the steps
I took to do this for celtk.

--
Andy

--