[cells-devel] Current DP not GE pulse ...

Kenny Tilton kennytilton at optonline.net
Sun Aug 10 17:22:55 UTC 2008

Mikko Ahonen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Small issue I seem to constantly run into while debugging Cells source code:
>
> First, I sometimes get "New as of Cells3: parent must be supplied to
> make-instance of .." for various reasons.

Hmmm. That is just the family class, yes? If you are not specifying the
:fm-parent, yep, that is what happens. Aside: I could probably relax
that requirement, I think it just had to do with "kid-slotting", used
only in GUI containers. Anyway..

>  For example now I used c? for
> cell that did not refer to any other cell. Anyway, this is expected.

Not by me. :) A Cell not using another Cell is fine. I often use a rule
just to achieve an initform that can see the instance being initialized.
And I don't see how this ties into :fm-parent not being specified.

Probably just a failure of my imagination. Want to post some code?

> But even if I run (cells-reset) and then try running it again, I get
> this kind of error messages below.  It is slightly annoying to have to
> start the environment when this happens.
>
> Current DP 1 not GE pulse 85 of cell (Foo . <vld>)<85:A
> VISIBLE-NAME/#<ROLE 22356BC7> = Foo>
>
> Is there some simple workaround?

I have to think that although you are doing a cells-reset you are also
then continuing work with existing model instances who still remember
the last DP. If not, I am stumped and would need to see some code. If
so, the simple workaround would be to set up your tests so a new test
run starts with cells-reset and then recreates the entire universe of
model instances you want to work with.

Other than that, you might be able to hack Cells quickly to respond to a
/lower/ DP by simply treating that condition as "out of date" so the
recalculation mechanism cuts in, at the end of which the new lower DP
would replace the obsolete DP. I doubt we could claim integrity was
being preserved because now rules and observers are running for no
reason, but I wager there would rarely be an actuall ill effect.

cheers, kenneth
\