[cells-devel] feedback and question

Ken Tilton kentilton at gmail.com
Sun Sep 3 12:21:59 UTC 2006

On 9/3/06, franks-muc at web.de <franks-muc at web.de> wrote:

> This is a feed back (with quetions) on my first experiments with
> cells/celtk
> on mswindows and acl 7 trial.
>
> - asdf installation of the lisp files is straight forward.

Wow, you may be the first to have done it, other than me and Frank, the
developers. I usually warn people away from even trying. :)

- Of course, I had to install tcl and other software I did not know before (
> e.g. darcs).
>   The togl.dll took me some time, but I had the spinning gears demo
> running after
>   about 4 hours. I was so happy!

Yeah, OpenGL is great fun, altho challenging.

- Documentation for cells exists and is helpful !!
>   After a study of ltktest-ci.lisp it was easy to do my own sample GUI
> with buttons, radios
>   and labels.

Wow again. :)

- I never did a gui before. I only went through the interface builder demo
> of allegro a while ago
>   and my impression was: I don't want to do that and avoid it as long as
> possible.
>   Now I'm completely surprised how easy it is to set up a gui, and the
> automatic
>   actions and updates made by cells are pure fun.

Yep. It would be even more fun if you had done a GUI before and knew what a
pain it was once things  start to get complicated. I find I make fancier
(and easier for the user) GUIs just because Cells makes it easy.

- The only problem I encountered so far is with the text entry widget:
>   alphanumeric key strokes get through to the entry field only
> occasionally.
>   May be only one of about five key strokes is shown in the entry field.
>   Backspace and cursor left/right work correctly, however.
>   This also happens in the moire demo of ltktest-ci.lisp.
>   What can I do to improve this ?

I remember something like this happening, but forget  the details. I will
fire up that demo and see what I can see. It may be a while because my
(win32) system seems close to a hard drive failure today (one blue screen
already).

kt