[cells-devel] feedback and question

franks-muc at web.de franks-muc at web.de
Sun Sep 3 10:53:34 UTC 2006

This is a feed back (with quetions) on my first experiments with cells/celtk
on mswindows and acl 7 trial.

- asdf installation of the lisp files is straight forward.

- Of course, I had to install tcl and other software I did not know before (e.g. darcs).
  The togl.dll took me some time, but I had the spinning gears demo running after
  about 4 hours. I was so happy!

- Documentation for cells exists and is helpful !!
  After a study of ltktest-ci.lisp it was easy to do my own sample GUI with buttons, radios
  and labels.

- I never did a gui before. I only went through the interface builder demo of allegro a while ago
  and my impression was: I don't want to do that and avoid it as long as possible.
  Now I'm completely surprised how easy it is to set up a gui, and the automatic
  actions and updates made by cells are pure fun.

- The only problem I encountered so far is with the text entry widget:
  alphanumeric key strokes get through to the entry field only occasionally.
  May be only one of about five key strokes is shown in the entry field.
  Backspace and cursor left/right work correctly, however.
  This also happens in the moire demo of ltktest-ci.lisp.
  What can I do to improve this ?

Summarized: celtk is great, and I would be happy about some help on my last
item above.

Frank Schorr