[cells-devel] loading under Linux

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Tue Feb 24 16:40:28 UTC 2004

In case you missed it on cll today:

Kenny Tilton <ktilton at nyc.rr.com> writes:

 >> Are you using FTGL from Lisp? Without C glue?

nope. i misunderstood "loading on Linux the FTGL lib". sorry.

 >> What I did on win32 was write a few lines of C glue to get at the C++
 >> FTGL classes, then rebuild the FTGL dll with that code. I believe the
 >> porter created a .SO for the C glue, linking that with a virgin FTGL
 >> static lib. AllegroCL on Linux then screams about something being
 >> unreadable when he tries to load the glue SO. Look for a recent query
 >> here from Frank G. He is able to load SOs as a rule, but the ones he
 >> builds have an issue, so it is probably some obscure linker
 >> incantation or compiler directive that is needed. Ideas welcome.

i'm doing something similar but with cmucl, i wanna use my favorite
media library from lisp, but it has ugly API so i'm writing some
helper functions to hide ugliness from lisp. i can use the library
from C without much thinking, but when loading it into lisp i have to
say:

(load-foreign
  '("artm-wrap.o"
    "libmedia1.a"
    "libmedia2.a")
  :libraries '("-lc"
	      "-L/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.2/"
	      "-lgcc"
	      "-lz"))

i guess the libmedia uses some gcc-specific features on linux which
require linking with gcc... i'm not sure how this would have looked
in allegrocl, but the issue might be the same, no?

-- gr{oe|ee}t{en|ings} artm