[cdr-discuss] CDR follow ups...

Marco Antoniotti marcoxa at cs.nyu.edu
Wed May 23 08:16:58 UTC 2012

On May 20, 2012, at 20:58 , Didier Verna wrote:

> Pascal Costanza wrote:
>
>> I checked the existing threads on this topic (not sure if I was exhaustive).
>>
>> There are two elements being proposed: (a) having something like
>> :cdr-nnn in *features*, and (b) having a standard package naming
>> mechanism. One suggestion actually was to have :cdr-nnn also as a
>> package name.
>>
>> It seems to me that :cdr-nnn for *features* is straightforward and no
>> objections were ever raised, as far as I can tell. :cdr-nnn as package
>> name seems more dubious to me, but that's just my personal opinion.
>
>  About the package idea, see also this thread stated by Juanjo on the
> ECL mailing list:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/ecls-list@lists.sourceforge.net/msg01225.html
>
>  There are a couple of very good arguments from Pascal Bourguignon in
> favor of using packages for CDRs defining new symbols (although I find
> his criticisms a little exagerated; we don't have to deal with soooo
> many Lisp implementations after all). But in any case, I think he's
> right.

I am kind of vary about using packages (or package nicknames) mandated as part of CDR; not because I disagree with PB, but because once you start talking about packages, you need to talk about naming conventions and conflicts.

I am all for using the CDR-NNN in *features* of course.

I could write a CDR about "package naming", but that would mean that CDR should agree on *a* naming convention - a CDR in itself - and assume that the underlying implementation signals nicknames conflicts - yet another CDR.

The bare bone version of such thing is

(defpackage "IT.UNIMIB.DISCO.MA.MY-CDR-42-IMPLEMENTATION" (:use …)
     (:nicknames "THE-CDR-AGREED-UPON-MEANINGFUL-AND-MAYBE-HIERARCHICAL-NAME" "CDR-42" …)
     (:export …)
     …)

Cheers
--