[cdr-discuss] About the CDR process

Tobias C. Rittweiler tcr at freebits.de
Sat Nov 15 18:32:23 UTC 2008

Pascal Costanza writes:

> TCR writes
>
> > I think a default initial period of six week is way too short. I'd
> > suggest a period of six _months_ instead.
>
> The original idea when we designed CDR was that documents are already
> publicly scrutinized elsewhere before they are submitted to CDR, so
> the 6 weeks were targeted at last-minute changes that typically arise
> in the last few weeks.

This is what I thought. Notice, however, that submitting a CDR has the
follow effects

  a) it's announced

       so people are more likely to direct their attention to such
       a document.

  b) it's _officially_ announced

       so people who want to implement documents into their
       implementation of choice, have some credited ressource
       to point implementators at.

  c) there is a public, and archived, discussion platform

Another possibility would be to introduce a new status, "Draft", which
takes 6 months, and precedes the "Initial" status. This seems to make
the process unnecessarily more complex, though.

  -T.