[boston-lisp] Next Boston Lisp Meeting: Wednesday June 25th 2008, 6pm at NEU Shillman Hall Room 135

Jeff Read bitwize at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 08:33:28 UTC 2008

2008/6/6 Kent M Pitman <pitman at nhplace.com>:

> You're in the right town for that.  But Lisp Machines are a big topic area.
> That's kind of like a talk on "the C language and things it has been used
> for".  And the communities started off the same and then diverged into
> different cultures such that everyone's reality was not even the same.  But
> even glossing that, there are issues of operating system, editing
> environment file system, editing tools, mail reading, patching tools,
> marketplace, etc.

One thing that interests me is the use of Lisp machines in
high-performance computing tasks, like 3D rendering. I know it's been
done, I just never heard any detail -- who did it, why they chose a
LispM over conventional architecture, the gains and setbacks they
faced, etc. That would be a really cool thing to hear discussion
about.

--Jeff